Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Just catching up...

I feel I've so neglected this blog lately and I am missing it..

The Art for Japan event went great last Friday, we sold 26 pieces of artwork during the party, and $3,700 will go back to relief organizations in Japan. I decided to give half of it to All hands in support of Amya Miller who is a Boston volunteer who left her life here to go help out in Japan for a couple of months. I've been reading her blog and there's no better reminder that tragedies are still ongoing there. If you haven't donated yet or feel like helping out a bit more, please take a minute to visit her blog or page and donate or send a word of support. I admire her efforts and strength.

I myself felt like I'd been ran over by a truck after the fundraiser, but am trying to get back into my routine and it feels a bit like this (make sure you have the sound on). The video is by Francis Alys and I am intrigued by his "When faith moves mountains" project at Moma:




"Alÿs’s motto for When Faith Moves Mountains is “Maximum effort, minimum result.” For this epic project the artist invited five hundred volunteers to walk up a sand dune on the outskirts of Lima, Peru, shoveling in unison, thus displacing the dune by a few inches. Demonstrating a ridiculous disproportion between an effort and its effect, the work is a metaphor for Latin American society, in which minimal reforms are achieved through massive collective efforts. "

Ok, more soon..

2 comments:

  1. Hat's off to you, Sophie for all you've done for Japan! Great work!! Have a good rest, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations once again on a job well done. People can move mountains. XO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...